Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hello World

This is my Kimono blog, with a touch of life involved.
Here's my deal;

When I began a love for kimono, I was into Gothic Lolita, Wa-loli stuff. I was pretty much only obsessed with that.
My kimono adventure began August 2007 when I bought my first kimono. It was at a Japanese festival, and it was a kimono for a 13 year old girl. I thought it fit me perfectly. Using the obi from my Gothic Lolita, with the zipper on the side, I wore it during the festival:





Basically, a failure.
After that horrible situation, I went at it and actually started doing some research and I found out that I was dong everything wrong.
okay! Fine, I'll get a real obi and juban!





...Okay, okay, not... uhm... Ew.

SO. I learned from THOSE mistakes, and tried AGAIN.



okay, okay, not so bad, uhm...
Wrong season, crap.

As you can see, kimono is filled with a lot of... trials and tribulations. We all have to start somewhere.
I am never one to worry too much of formality. I DO worry about proper wear and accessories but I will never fret too much over if my juban is a formal color or if my collar looks a little funny. I do not wish to look like a Geiko or a Maiko. I just want to be me. I want to wear me. I want to mirror the seasons, as well as my feelings. They were just clothes once. Not a special costume that cost more than an arm and a leg. I attempt to give the the kimono that special "just clothes" charm that it used to have.



I'm not an expert, I'm not trying to be. I don't know the different names of Maiko, I'm not all that sure what era that kimono came from, I think iro-muji dont get enough love for their simplicity and how easy they are to wear (most of us don't do tea ceremony.) I don't like Furisode all that much, and I'm not a fan of flashy kimono.

But, hopefully, you'll read my posts and enjoy yourself.

-Jen

1 comment:

  1. Hey! (Kikuyo from IG/TM here ^-^)

    I really agree with your "just clothes" sentiment :) literally, "kimono"=thing you wear (kiru+mono), lol and I think a lot of kimono-wearers forget this. Like all clothes, they can be dressed up and turned into something worth an arm and a leg, but some of the prices I have seen people pay for very basic casual kitsuke items frightens me! :D I love your blog! *will be stalking >.> *

    ReplyDelete